Monday, April 02, 2007

Top 10 Photo Skills #7: Beware the staged photo


One of the harder things to capture whilst travelling is capturing people acting 'normal'. All too often you get caught trying to capture people as they go about their day in their natural environment.

One way to get around this is to use a tele-photo lens. I use a Canon 80-300mm that on my digital body pushes this out to close to 400mm with the sensor magnification.

Another solution is to hold the camera away from your eye. I know this is a bit hit mad miss but you can grab some amazing photos from some un-orthodox angles.

  • Lake Titicaca, Peru
    Sitting across the plaza I saw an American couple blowing bubbles and the native girls could not believe their eyes. The symmetry of the two girls really makes the image.

  • Bocas del Toro, Panama
    As I waited for a canoe out to the islands this young girl glanced up for a second. My camera was in my hand by chance and without looking I pulled the trigger.

No comments: